Saturday, June 6, 2009

Just wanted to say thanks for all the support

Here is a copy of an email and my response:

Hi



I just wanted to make a statement to you that I had the opportunity to visit your HQ by Jefferson Barracks several weeks ago. At that time I spoke with Jeremy (or Justin...can't recall) and he gave me great advice on some of the Gateway discs available. I am new to disc golf, so I still have development to do on my form. However, with Jeremy's help I picked up several discs during my visit and I recently made a personal distance record of 375'(+) with an Assassin purchased that day. Awesome.



On another note, I have an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering, worked in automotive for 10+ years, and I am currently working on my masters in info systems in Murray, KY at Murray State University. No I'm not telling you this to get a job or something, but more because I've read your articles on the gyroscopic and centrifugal influences you describe on disc flight and I have followed them 99%. I am impressed that 'someone' is putting technical thought into the flight of discs and applying it. I am sure there are guys out there who have tacet knowledge from years of trial and error, but it appears that you are developing theories and applying them. My impression from my visit was that you are very much into developing new ideas and are not afraid to try out a few things. Being a technical person, I think that is great



Although I too have theories about disc flight, my knowledge pales in comparison to the background you and others do in the disc industry. For that reason, I won't even attempt to pretend like I have any advanced perspective to provide. However, I do enjoy the contribution you are making to the sport and please continue to write the technical explanations about the development of your product. I surely enjoy reading about it and it has made me a fan of Gateway.



Kind regards,


--
Jeff Kaleta


Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback, kind words and support, I take it you are the guy who was asking about surface technology,,, correct?





I played my first Frisbee game in 1972 ( we threw and skipped a yellow 6” diameter Frisbee ring at each other in front of hockey goals trying to score, each kid had a glove like a hockey goalie) and built my first Frisbee mold late in 1998.

Having no prior knowledge of molds, plastic or aerodynamics, it’s all been an “applied-science-adventure” that brings about new discoveries and ideas for new product development on a daily basis. It has been a long hard road of 15 hour work days and 60 plus hour weeks and I have few regrets!

Lucky for me,, I love what I do and the weeks go by at the blink of an eye. Whether its blending a few polymers for that right feel, shape and flight or hacking out honeysuckle and briars when working on a disc golf course or working with a new player who needs help with his form,,,,,I couldn’t ask for a better career.



Gateway disc sports has come along way over the years and we’re awfully proud of our accomplishments. When I say we, I’m speaking for all the people who have helped along the way as without the support, I’m not sure our doors would still be open.

I love engaging people and go out of my way to let customers know I am very approachable and will listen to suggestions and ideas on how we can help grow our company, the sport or improve their personal disc golf experience.

That being said if there is something you want to discuss or an idea that you have regarding discs or the game, feel free to email me or give me a call with your thoughts.



Btw,

I do have many more articles I should be publishing and just need to take the time to get them out of my head and on some paper. !

Thanks for the email, it is a reminder I need to get on this sooner than later!!!





Ps,

I attached a few articles you may or may not have read yet and our 2009 sales docs in case you know of any resellers who may be interested in carrying our discs. There is also a link to a few videos below that are entertaining!

No comments:

About David

My photo
St. Louis, MO, United States
I own and operate Gateway Disc Sports, a disc manufacturing and course design and installation company.